Beets n Dates pickle is a sweet savoury Kerala style pickle . It has beetroot, dates and raisins as the main ingredients. It goes very well with Biryani or ghee rice.
- Beetroot - 1 medium
- Dates, deseeded - 12-15
- Vinegar - 3/4 cup
- Raisins - 10-12
- Mustard seeds crushed - 1 tsp
- Ginger, chopeed - 1 tsp
- Garlic chopped - 1 tsp
- Green chilli chopped - 1
- Curry leaves - few
- Turmeric powder - 1/4tsp
- Chilli powder - 1.5 - 2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tbs
- Brown sugar - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cut beetroot and cook well in minimum water
- Blend cooked beetroot with vinegar and dates in a blender. Add water if needed, to get pasty consistency. Small pieces of dates is fine too.
- Heat oil in a pan
- Sauté crushed mustard for less than a minute.
- Add ginger, garlic and green chilli and sauté for 1-2 minutes
- Add turmeric and chilli powder and raisins
- Once Raisins are bulged, add beetroot paste to it and cook for 3 more minutes
- Sprinkle some salt, as per your taste.
Beetroot dates pickle is ready. Store it in an air tight container in fridge.
Use it after a day.