Here comes the award winning Lamb chili recipe.
And, sorry, I don't have a picture of the chili we made... :( I shall soon update the post with the pic when i make it again.
- Lamb, minced - 1/2 kg
- Red onion, sliced - 1 cup
- Ginger, chopped - 1 tbs
- Garlic, chopped - 1 tbs
- Oil - 2 tbs
- Chili powder - 2.5 tsp
- Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Chicken masala powder - 1 tbs
- Salt to taste
- Black bean - 1 can (15oz)
- Pinto bean - 1 can (15oz)
- Ro-tel original chopped tomato with chilli - 28oz canister
- Tomato puree - 2tbs
- Cabbage, chopped - 1.5 cups
- Carrot chopped - 1/2 cup
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed big pan with tight lid ( use pressure cooker or dutch oven)
- Add onion, ginger and garlic and give a stir
- Add minced lamb and salt to taste
- Saute lamb till the raw color goes
- Add chilli powder, chili powder, cumin powder and chicken masala and give a stir
- After 5 minutes add both beans, Ro-tel chopped tomatoes with chilli, tomato puree, cabbage and carrot and stir again
- Cook chili with closed lid for about 2 hours in low to medium flame. (If you are using pressure cooker, you may use low- medium flame with weight on and then release the pressure and cook for another 1 hr again with or without weight. Since we use low flame we are not looking for whistle.)
- Switch off the flame after 2hrs of slow cooking. Chili should be thick enough and all ingredients must be cooked well by now.
Serve warm chili with sour cream and sweet cornmeal bread!