Jujubes aka "Red dates" is not a common kitchen ingredient in India, but it is considered as a superfood in Traditional Chinese Medicine. It's benefit list is too long to list down here. It has a very mild distinct taste too.
- Dried red dates - 2 cups
- Water - 4 cups
- Sugar - 1.5 cups
- Lemon peel - a pinch (optional)
- Boil dates with lemon peel and water in low flame with closed lid till water is almost halved
- Once cool, pass it through a mesh.
- Boil the syrup with 1 to 1.5 cups of sugar till the syrup is of honey consistency
- Switch off the flame and pass it through a mesh and store it in an airtight container
- Red date sharbath can be made by mixing 3 tbs syrup, 1 cup water and few ice cubes. It is refreshing, it is cool, it is good.