- Podi ari/ broken rice - 1/4 cup
- Milk - 4cups
- Sugar - 1 cups
- Basil / thulsi leaves - 3-4( optional)
IMP: Use a big, very clean pressure cooker, otherwise there is always a chance that milk in the payasam might curdle. I wouldn't use a cooker which I use for making curry or any spicy items in it.
- Add all ingredients except basil leaves in a pressure cooker
- Pressure cook it in medium - high flame for first 5 minutes or first whistle
- After 5 minutes or first whistle, reduce it to simmer, lowest flame and let it pressure cook for 15 more minutes.
- Switch off the flame and let it rest in the pressure cooker 20- 30 minutes more before opening the cooker
- Add thulsi leaves and keep it like that for another 20 minutes before serving.
The above recipe will yield about 5 cups of payasam