Here goes my special recipe for this Onam... Khus khus payasam.. Give it a try and you are sure to enjoy the outcome!
- Poppy seeds/Khus khus - 3 tbs
- Basmati/Soon masoori rice - 3 tbs
- Cashew nuts - 3 tbs + 1 tbs
- Cardamom - 2
- Milk - 1.25 ltr
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Saffron - 1/4 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tbs
- Raisins - 1 tbs
- Dry roast poppy seeds, rice and cardamom in medium heat.
- Before the poppy seeds color change take the mixture off from stove and grind it along with cashew nuts(mixture need not be very fine)
- In a thick bottomed pan, mix the above mixture and half of the milk
- Heat the pan and cook the mixture in medium flame
- When the mixture starts to boil, add rest of the milk and saffron to it
- Stir the payasm in between so that it doesn't get burned at the bottom and sides
- As payasam starts to thicken, stir it in every 1-2 minutes
- When payasam reaches required consistency, switch off the flame and stir it continuously for some time, about 5 minutes
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry cashew nuts and then raisins in it and add it to payasam.
- It took me around 45-50 minutes to cook payasam and reach the thick payasam consisitency
- Never leave payasam unattended