Being born and bought up in kerala, i have never had sweet pongal before. After marriage, when i made payasam, with rice and jaggery without coconut milk,( thick payasam which we get from temple as prasad) my husband told me that is Sweet Pongal. When I searched for sweet pongal recipe in other blogs, i could find that sweet pongal has green gram or moong dal and milk in it...Anyway here is my version of sweet pongal with banana.
- 1/2 cup rice (podi ari/ parboiled ponni rice)
- Jaggery to taste.( I used about 200gms)
- 1/4 tsp cardamon powder
- 2 tbs ghee
- 2 tbs chopped cashew nut
- 2 tbs raisins
- 2 banana(njaalipoovan is the best)
- Cook the rice well.
- Add crushed/melted jaggery to it.(You can add chunks also)
- Once the jaggery is melted, add chopped banana to it.
- Stir well to make it thick.
- Add cardamon powder and 1 tbs ghee to it and continue stirring. The banana pieces will be completely blended with the rest. Make sure that the mixture doesn't stick to the bottom of the vessel.
- Heat rest of the ghee and lightly fry cashews and raisins.
- When the rice mixture reaches its required consistency, switch off the flame and add the fried cashews and raisins to it. Sweet pongal/payasam is ready!!!
Tip: Immediately transfer the contents on to banana leaves to get that special taste and aroma...