What is a real muffin? A real muffin should be coarser and less sweet than a cake. Most of us often fail to see the actual difference between muffin and cupcake. The difference is not just in size. Cupcakes are softer, sweeter and moist than cupcake. After all, cup cakes are dessert. But muffin can be sweet or savoury, breakfast or snack..
The recipe given here is the basic old school muffin recipe. You can add your extra add ins like chocolate chips or dried fruits to it.
The above information and recipe is adapted from Alton Browns book, I'm Just Here For MORE FOOD, though I have made minor modifications to recipe.
|I made some cake pops using the same batter by using cake pop silicone pan|
- All purpose flour - 2 cups
- baking powder - 2 tsp
- Baking soda - 1 tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Oil - 1/2 cup
- Egg - 2
- Yogurt - 1 cup
- Chocolate chips(optional) - upto 1 cup
- Preheat the oven to 175 Degree Celcius for a minimum of 10 min
- Sift together ingredients from 1 to 4
- Whisk ingredients from 5 to 8
- Add wet ingredients mix to dry ingredients and just mix them using a whisk until they just come together.
- Add in ingredient 9 and give a stir.
- Make sure not to overmix.
- Spoon the batter to muffin cups and bake in middle rack for about 18-20 min until tooth pick inserted to the muffin comes out clean
- Remove the muffins from the oven and take out the muffin from pan immediately to wire rack for cooling.
It is possible to store the batter in airtight container in chill tray for up to a week. :)